Friday, June 1, 2012

Happy birthday to me, early morning, long day

Got alot of "Happy Birthday" messages today, I appreciate it.  Started out my morning by waking up at 3:48am and on the jobsite at 4:27am.  We tried to beat the wind and succeeded.  We MCed two towers today, F11 and F12.  For my birthday, I got to watch the sunrise from the top of turbine F11.  Lightening stand-down at 8:00am, didn't get cleared to climb back up the tower until 9:20am.  Got a call and I diverted to go inspect blades freshly installed on rotors on the ground for damage.  Below, the second photo is of the beginning of F-line (F1, 2, 3, 4, 5)


Kyle T. went out to inspect the hub and make sure it was all clean.  Sometimes, stupid people leave a spray bottle, a bolt, or anything larger than the size of dust, and it rattles around the hub forever, collecting black pit grease and spreading it everywhere.  Takes FOREVER to clean up, plus you have to use brake cleaner, so by the time you are done, you are talking to walls and seeing unicorns everywhere.  Fumes are not your friend.  Not the case this time, luckily.  Clean hubs rock.

Rusty came over, stole my harness and handled the rest of the inspections while I rushed some tools out to Taz at turbine H11 then handled some paperwork in the office.
Here is our crawler crane, the "Triple 9" parked at H5, broken down, obviously, but soon to erect the mid-to-top and the top-to-nacelle sections, then the nacelle, then the rotor (blades alreay installed).  Pending winds, we need this installed by Tuesday.  Riggers are coming in at 4:00am tomorrow to make some progress.  There is a fair amount of blade damage that we have found (needs to be fixed prior to flying the rotors and install on the nacelles).  Plodding along.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday you suspicious-looking bearded redneck from Tennessee! You have a present coming to you with lots of love from me.

    That is a cool crane, even if it's not working at the moment. Will you get to drive it?

    Love, Frances

    P.S. Do you like pecans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not drive cranes, do not have the knowledge or expertise. I like pecans, but I like high quality pcan pies better.

    ReplyDelete